Sunday, February 26, 2006

Shampoo Poetry

There are two things that are consuming me these days: work and poetry.
The compelling need to make a difference and to reignite the spirits at work is keeping me busy, and thanks to the wonderful community at Caferati, my love for poetry is back, and that too with a bang. Not that it went anywhere in the first place, but I am reading lotsa poetry online and learning and absorbing and methinks T would have loved it. (T, hope you are having fun at Trinity).
Does the poetry need to have metre and rhyme? Since I write in free verse, here’s an argument for it. Do check out Shampoo, an online poetry magazine. It’s got some real cool original work.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santre, "Shampoo" is great. Do check out the latest online edition of the PoetryMagazine. Here's an web exclusive from it on one of my favorite poets:

"In the third issue of Poetry, Harriet Monroe presented Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore to an American audience for the first time. Ezra Pound pronounced this "an event in the history of English poetry." Already a towering figure in the East, he soon became popular with an American audience who enthusiastically read his poetry, novels, short stories, and essays. Today, Tagore is still widely read in India and Bangladesh where his songs resound in their national anthems. He is counted with Mahatma Gandhi as one of the leading Indian thinkers of the last century. It was Tagore, in fact, who began calling Gandhi "Mahatma," or "great soul." The 14 love poems featured here in honor of Valentine's Day first appeared in the June 1913 issue of Poetry.

FEATURED POEMS

("I found a few old letters...")

("We both live in the same village...")

("Sing the song of the moment...")

("O you mad, you superbly drunk!...")

("With a glance of your eyes...")

("I asked of Destiny...")

("Tell me if this is all true...")

("Amidst the rush and roar of life...")

("Lest I should know you...")

("Come as you are...")

("Leave off your works, bride...")

("My soul is alight...")

("Keep me fully glad...")

("Over the green and yellow...")

I'm sure you'll love them.
Ciao - Anon

11:46 AM PST  
Blogger santre said...

thanks, anon. that was really useful. there is a certain gravitas in Tagore's poetry that is so very enriching. take care...

6:39 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home