Saturday, November 26, 2005

Shalimar the Clown

Picked up Shalimar the Clown post lunch yesterday once again and this time I am determined to finish it. I am a great fan of Rushdie as he is a master wordsmith and a super storyteller. I love the fact that he is reinventing himself and is in sync with the times. There’s a certain edginess in his writings now, and that’s what makes him so special. However, reading Rushdie takes so much out of us. He is a demanding writer and never an easy read. Finished over 50 pages of Shalimar yesterday, but I must say I am finding it a bit dense as there is a lot of intermixing of political commentary with philosophical outpourings, and the story runs in the background, like a river not in a hurry to go anywhere. It’s a challenging book, and I think I am going to enjoy it. Shall keep you posted about how I feel as I traverse through its pages.



Meanwhile, posting a small map of Egpyt to give you an idea of Shelle’s Egyptian sojourn. This is the route she is taking:
Cairo > Aswan > Abu Simbel (near the border of Sudan)> Edfu (65 miles north of Aswan) > Luxor > Alexandria > Cairo, with a Nile cruise thrown in between.
Abu Simbel

Take care, my friends.