Saturday, November 26, 2005

Tin Fish

Yesterday, Shelle called from the train to Aswan and it triggered a flow of emotions. Out came a poem (after a long time), she called from the train to Aswan, and in a way, it’s not only about how much I miss her but also about our relationship, and my umbilical chord attachment with my better half. I know some of you would read it and may find it soppy, a bit maudlin perhaps, but what the heck, do lemme have your comments please.
An excerpt:
i think of her in Aswan
that ancient frontier town in South Egypt
aesthetically set on the Nile where dainty sailboats
etch the sky with their heady masts
twenty five years of our relationship
and it’s with her i share my inner callings

Finished reading Tin Fish. I picked up the book initially because it’s written by a classmate of mine in St. Stephen’s (Class of 1984), Sudeep Chakravarti. We used to call him “Chakki”, and he was a quiet and intense person, though sometimes reclusive, at college. Without much preamble, I must say I loved the book and its easy flowing style. It’s a coming of age book and takes us on a journey through our wonder years. The story may be set in Mayo College, but it’s a tale of most of the young boys staying in residential schools. Though I have not had a stint at a boarding school (stayed in residence, though, at St. Stephen’s), I could identify with the book. It’s a breeze of a book. Chakki, can’t wait to ask you to set your second book in the Stephania of 1981-84. I think you have found your calling, mate, and am glad you have shifted to sylvan Goa which is conducive to creative pursuits.
Also browsed through House Design, an interesting book that captures some of the most contemporary house designs in the world. Published in 2004, most of the designs are avant-garde and have sci-fi looks. Cool stuff from Daab, a German publication house.
Do check out the site of Good Night, And Good Luck, a Warner Bros. flick that I shall not miss.
If you enjoy Jazz, you are in for a treat. Take care…

7 Comments:

Blogger soven said...

The poem is v good dad and no I dont think its soppy or maudlin... its completely 'you'.
Lively Blog I must say!

Soven

10:24 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should dedicate this beautiful old Jim Reeves song to her:

"Fly the ocean in a silver plane,
See the jungle when it's wet with rain,
Just Remember to be home again...
You Belong to Me!

Seethe pyramids along the Nile,
Send me photographs and souvenirs,
Just Remember to be home again...
You Belong to Me!"

The song is as beautiful and sentimental as the lines above. If you haven't heard this, I have the tape!

12:02 PM PST  
Blogger santre said...

thnx, anonymous. sounds like a beautiful song. maybe i shd try and get a mp3 version. take care...

11:29 PM PST  
Blogger santre said...

chakki...good to hear from you, and i do look frwd to the tin fish trilogy which methinks is a swell idea. am glad you are writing a book set in goa. there's something abt the place.

btw, your blog is throwing a 404 error.

stay in touch, friend.

sanjay

11:32 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Santre,

The Jim Reeves number is called "You Belong to Me" and you can search it on the Net or use Kaaza, etc. to download it.

Sorry there was some error in the lyrics. Below are the original words:

"See the pyramids along the Nile
watch the sunrise on a tropic isle
Just remember darling all the while
you belong to me

See the market place in old Algirs
send me photographs and souvenirs
Just remember when a dream appears
you belong to me

I'll be so alone without you
maybe you'll be lonesome too and blue

Fly the ocean in a silver plane
see the jungle when it's wet with rain
Just remember till you're home
again you belong to me"

Please let me know if you find the MP3. Thanks

Anon

10:36 AM PST  
Blogger santre said...

thnx, anon...you are a gem! keep keeping tabs on me...:)

1:21 AM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...


Head hunters in Bangalore
Placement Consultany in Bangalore
Serviced Apartments in Bangalore
SEO Services in Bangalore
SEO Services in India

4:20 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home